Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Harvest 2010 is well under way

The harvest of 2010 is well underway!



 For those of you that might not know, I am from a small county in Oklahoma that is surround by farm land, Wheat mostly. My family were not farmers but you don't have to be a farmer to enjoy harvest in a small town. Every since we moved to Medford when I was in the 4th grade Harvest has always been one of the highlights of the summer. You can always tell when it is getting close because it like there is a buzz in the air. The farmers are all anxious to get started. The custom cutter's, we call them wheatie's, all start coming into the area. It's just an exciting time.   You didn't have to be a farming family to experience harvest either. When I was growing up, if you weren't a farming family you worked for one or worked at the elevator where the wheat is delivered by trucks. Even the girls would help the farmers wives by babysitting and helping take meals to the field. In some why everyone in a small town gets to experience all the fun. About 7 1/2 years ago my family moved to Kyle Texas, just outside of Austin. For the 5 summers that we were there Chris and I always mentioned Harvest and how much we had missed it. We moved back home 2 1/2 years ago and each harvest that we have been home we have loaded up in the truck and driven those red dirt roads just to watch the combine's go in circles. I know this might sound boring to some of you but if you are from a town that has a few weeks of harvest you know what I am talking about.






I remember when I was growing up we would go out to the field with my cousins. We would ride into town in the wheat trucks to dump the wheat. This was back before wheat trucks were semi's. The trucks were much smaller so we would wait in line till it was our turn. It was always a treat to get a pop when we finally made it to the window.  I also remember riding on the very top of the combine. Now that I look back at it that wasn't such a safe thing to do, but man did we think it was fun. After we got down we would just be covered in dirt and wheat dust, the bath tub would need to be cleaned when we got done. I hope everyone has a profitable Harvest this year and thank you for all of the great memories!



No comments:

Post a Comment