Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Week Recap.

This week and week-end has seem to fly by. I was really excited to go to work this week. Tuesday we had Docket which makes the day go by faster because we seem to stay rather busy. But I was especially excited for Wednesday. Since we live in such a small county we don't seem to have the opportunity to hold Jury Trials. I have worked in the Court Clerks office for 1 1/2 years and we have yet to have a Jury. Wednesday we finally had one. I have never been to court myself or have never been selected for Jury duty. I found the whole process very interesting. Each process from selecting the Jury to the trial itself was intriguing to me. When we have Jury it is my job to be the Bailiff. We started Wednesday at 9 A.M. and ended around 5 P.M. The Jury was instructed be back at 9 A.M. on Thursday which they all did. To my disappointment the Judge and Deana came into the Jury Room only to announce that the Trial was a Miss-trial and the Jury was free to go. RATS I was really getting into it! Oh well maybe next time. I did come away from the whole thing with a pretty funny story. Wednesday Deana and I both ended up having wardrobe malfunctions! When I got to work Deana told me that while she was in the court room getting everything ready the maintenance man came in. Deana was just minding her own business doing her thing when the maintenance man says: "Deana, do you have your blouse on inside out?" Sure enough she sure did! We all got a good laugh to start off our day. Needless to say the best was yet to come. We started Jury selection promptly at 9A.M. and took our first recess at around 10:30. I had to use the rest room so instead of standing in line at the rest room upstairs I went down stairs to use the employee rest room. Might I add, I hate to use this restroom. It is very small and kinda spooky to me for some reason. Anyway, I did my business and headed out of the door around the corner and up the first flight of stairs. Now just picture this, the court house is full of the usual employee's, about 25 men and women checking land records AND NOW about 35 potential jurors. As I am walking up the stairs something just doesn't feel right. I reach my hand behind me only to find my skirt tucked into my spanks!!!!  I tell the lady behind me," I think my skirt is tucked!" She looks and LOUDLY says "OH MY, YES IT IS!" She begins helping me fix my malfunction. All I can say is Thank God I was not wearing a THONG! I have no idea how many people that I scared for life with the sight, but if you are one of them, I TRULY AM SORRY! I will never ever forget my first Jury Trial! LOL.
I haven't done much work at mom and dad's house this week because of work so Thursday I went over and got the office room textured. That is all I was able to get done though. I went back over a few hours later and the mud was still wet so I was kinda at a stand still. I hope to get that room finished this week.
Friday night Chris and I went out to eat and came home fairly early because Chris was scheduled to play in a golf tournament on Saturday morning in Enid. He had really been looking forward to this tournament and had even called in Alan Kilian from Tulsa to play. Chris said Alan is a great golfer and Alan was even bringing a buddy with him that is great too. Chris was so excited that he was gonna have a good team. Well at 4 A.M. work called and Chris had to go in. Needless to say he was not a happy camper. He didn't get home until noon on Saturday. Poor guy missed the whole golf tournament. Sorry Hubs, maybe next year.
Saturday morning I had a memorial service to go to for my Aunt Karen, my dad's sister. She went to be with the Lord August 13, 2010.
Karen Lou Wages Cook
January 10, 1937 - August 13, 2010
Aunt Karen was full of life and had a laugh that will never be forgotten. Rest in Peace Aunt Karen and enjoy being reunited with grandma and grandpa.
My dad is one of 8 children. Jim, Judy, Karen & Sharon (twins), Nita, Al, Kenny (my dad), & Christine. Out of the 8 children 5 are still with us. Dad is the only boy left.
Chris, Judy, Sharon, Nita and Kenny (my dad)
The service was beautiful then we headed over to Margie's for a luncheon. Funeral's are never fun, but it does give us an opportunity to meet back up with family that we have not seen in YEARS. I have not seen Dondi (Aunt Karen's daughter) in YEARS. She has a wonderful family. It was like we see each other all the time. They are so easy to talk to and they are fun to be around. I wish I could have spent more time with them.
After lunch we headed out to the cemetery. Even though Aunt Karen was cremated we buried her between grandma and grandpa.
Dad laying Aunt Karen to rest.
Each of us was given the opportunity to shovel some of the dirt. Many took part in helping and some just wanted to watch.
We gather hands and recited the Lord's Prayer and had  a chance to just stand around her and tell stories. It was a great service and she was honored well.

1 comment:

  1. Thank You Laura! That was so nicely done about Aunt Karen. She would be so proud of you, and dad will be too, I will make sure he see's it when he gets up in the morning to go to work. He would also be proud of you for what you have posted on your blog. I'm blessed to have a daughter like you, who cares in every way. You are loved so deeply in our hearts. You are a jewel. I want to Thank You for all the hard work and time you have put into our house, to make it our own. It will still be a few months on down the line before you get it done but it will be gorgeous when you do. I love you so much, and I'm so blessed to call you my daughter. Mom

    ReplyDelete