Friday, November 12, 2010

Diabetes Awareness Month


November is Diabetes Awareness Month. You might ask why I care so much?


On October 26, 2003 my youngest child Kendall was diagnosed with Type 1 Juvenile Diabetes.
A few short months after we moved our family from Oklahoma to Texas Kendall began to not act like himself. I thought that Kendall was dealing with depression due to the move. After weeks of watching him lose weight and sleep much more than normal I decided it was time for a trip to the hospital. I went in to wake Kendall up to take him to the hospital and by this point he was so weak he couldn't even stand to brush his teeth. While being admitted into the E.R. the man asked us if Kendall was diabetic. Diabetic? No! But after seeing the doctor our fears were confirmed. They transported him by ambulance to the P.I.C.U at Children's Hospital. Kendall was in the P.I.C.U for several days and remained in the hospital for what seemed to be forever. They would not allow us to go home until they felt confident that we were able to handle this disease at home. We all learned how to give and receive shots. Yes Kendall even had the chance to give Chris and me injections. (Not of insulin of course but he still was able to show us a little of what he was facing) When we returned home I remember not wanting to leave him alone even for a second. I even slept with him. The past 7 years have had it's challenges. Some good & some bad. I continue to pray for a cure for this disease not only for my son but for anyone who has to live with this disease daily.

There are good days and bad days but push through and keep your head held high.
I love you Kendall Christopher Foster!
Love, Mom


No comments:

Post a Comment