Sunday, July 1, 2012

Farewell Grandpa

Early this week I received a call from my mom. She called to tell me that they have put my Grandpa in a Hospice Care facility. He was dying! We knew that his health had been declining very rapidly, but no matter if you expect it or not...it still hurts! My Grandpa lived a good 89 years of life. He has accomplished many things in his lifetime...many I am sure I don't even know about. He is a war vet., he was a very talented athlete and even survived being shot during a robbery while serving on the Tulsa Police Department. The list goes on and on! One thing I do know is that my grandpa was a fighter and he fought up until his last breath! Here's to you Grandpa...I love you and you will be missed!
 "Pistol Pete Annex" 
1949 Tulsa Hurricane Football Quarterback.
Lonnie and I went to visit Grandpa on Wednesday and he woke up a few times and seemed to be aware of what was going on from time to time. By Thursday he was not waking up at all. They told us that when your kidneys shut down you kinda put yourself into a self induced coma. Early Friday morning his breathing became very labored and because of all of the fluid on his lungs he began to rattle with every breath. Mom called me around 10am and told me it wouldn't be long so Lonnie and I headed to Tulsa. I bet we weren't there 1 hour before he was gone. 
My mother was great! She was by his side to the very end, holding his hand and rubbing his face very tenderly. I knew that when I got there Friday she was exhausted! This picture was taken literally 10 or 15 minutes before he died.
My Mom and Dad.
Mom moved over by dad so that the nurse's could turn Grandpa and then another nurse came in to give him a breathing treatment. We were all just sitting there watching him and I saw his eyes open. He began to look around and I leaned over to mom ( who was hugging my dad at this point) and said "He has his eye's open!"
For some reason I knew what was happening!! It was the strangest feeling! Mom went over to him and it was like their eyes locked!! She grabbed his hand and everyone in the room moved closer to his bed. With his daughter holding his hand and the rest of us surrounding his bed he took his last breath! It was a great feeling not to watch him suffer anymore...but a terrible feeling knowing he was gone!
The facility the my Grandpa was blessed to be placed in is called Clarehouse. It is truly the most amazing place I have ever been in! 
It is such a peaceful place to be, which is weird because everyone there is dying! They only have 8 rooms. Each room has a balcony overlooking beautiful landscape.
Volunteers brought in home cooked meals daily. Everyone there was so nice and comforting! The nurse that was in the room with us when Grandpa passed hugged each of us and cried with us! I can't express how great these people are! They are true angels from heaven!
After someone passes, the nurse's light a candle outside of that person's room! This is Grandpa's Candle.
They have 2 beautiful fish aquariums within the home. They were gorgeous.
When the family is ready and after your loved one passes they let you release a butterfly in their memory! I had to head back so I didn't get any photo's of this ceremony. But here is a pic of the butterfly cage.

Again this place and the people who work and volunteer their time here are AMAZING!!
Services for Paul Annex will be held Tuesday July 3, 2012 at 11 a.m.at Rose Hill Mortuary. 4161 E. Admiral Tulsa, Oklahoma 74115.
Any Memorials can be sent to Clarehouse Hospice 7617 S. Mingo Rd. Tulsa, Oklahoma 74113.
Thank you all for you thoughts and prayers for our family during this time. It is greatly appreciated.








No comments:

Post a Comment